IMPEACH GEORGE BUSH!! The Cheshire's Blog: The Lost Art of Spitting Blood

Monday, August 15, 2005

The Lost Art of Spitting Blood

Can someone please tell me what the hell has happened to rock and roll? I’m not talking about the music itself, that’s another story entirely. I’m talking about stage productions that brought you to your knees. What ever happened to groups like KISS? These guys gave you a show you’d remember for the rest of your life. Sure, it’s likely you’ve forgotten most of their music, but how could you ever forget Gene Simmons bleeding from his mouth, or spitting fire? If you’re a woman, you’re probably more likely to remember his tongue. Again, that’s another story entirely.

These days, it seems that bands are apathetic towards their audience. It’s as if they just want to do the show as fast as possible, get paid, and get out. They don’t seem to recall the meaning behind the show. Take Smashing Pumpkins, for example. Watching them perform is like watching a fashion show for the living dead. Just once, I’d like to see one of it’s members vomit up a little blood. If they did this (and this is the irony of it all) their devoted fans would think they were the coolest, most original rock band ever. Why? Because their fans are too young to remember groups like KISS.

Along with many Gen Xers, I grew up in adoration of KISS. Not so much for their music, as for their stage antics. KISS came from a long line of rock and roll showmen. For instance, take Little Richard and Jerry Lee Lewis. Take Liberace, for that matter. These were showmen! They understood that you were spending your hard-earned cash for a show, and a show is what they gave you! Jerry Lee set his piano on fire. The Who smashed up their expensive guitars. Elton John… well, who knew what Elton would do at his next performance?

Bands today just don’t seem to have that cutting edge they did when I was dreaming of my first car. I once attended a Primus concert, for which I had waited three hours in line in order to purchase tickets. I paid seventy shells for the opportunity and was treated to not ten, but a full twenty minutes of seeing them on stage. What the hell is that all about? Don’t get me wrong, I loved Primus. I thought they had the potential to actually put on a show, but they didn’t bother with quality entertainment because the fans no longer demanded it of them.

I don’t know, maybe I’m just getting old. I remember my folks saying, ‘you kids don’t know what real music is,’ and now I’m starting to sound like them. I’m beginning to understand what they meant. But, this was never about the music, it was about putting on a show where you thought you wouldn’t survive the adrenaline rush. I mean, sure, Peter Chris’ "Beth" was a beautiful song to his wife (?), but it paled in comparison to witnessing him and the rest of the band, in outlandish make-up and costumes, give a performance to stop your heart. Then again, all this was way back when it was called Show Business, and not the Music Industry.

AG

1 Comments:

Blogger teritup said...

I completely agree with you, and this does not only apply to rock music. The very first concert I went to was R E O Speedwagon with Survivor, it was and has been one of the best shows I have seen. I have seen my share of concerts in a wide variety of music and I will agree with you.........they are no longer shows!

8/15/2005 06:01:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home